Eglingham, a village, a township, and a parish in Northumberland. The township lies between the rivers Aine and Breamish, 7 miles NW of Alnwick and 4g- from Woopertou station on the N.E.R., and has a post and money order office under Alnwick; telegraph office, Glanton. Acreage, 2009 y population of the township, 284; of the ecclesiastical parish, with Bewick and Lilburn, 1562. The parish contains alsu the townships of Titlington, Crawley, Hedgeley, Harehope, Ditchburn, Shipley, Bassington, West Lilburn, East Lilburn, Old Bewick, New Bewick, Wooperton, Brandon, and Branton. The manor formerly belonged to the Ogles, but is now the property of the Adamson family. Much of the surface is moorland. There is a lake of 5 acres, called Kinnier Lougli. There are ruins of an old border tower, and vestiges of British and Roman camps. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Newcastle, and is annexed to the archdeaconry of Lindis-farne; net value, £680 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Newcastle. The church is good.
|Poor Law union||Alnwick|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
Transcript of the entry for Eglingham (St. Maurice) from Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848
Online maps of Eglingham are available from a number of sites:
Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)