Raunds, a large village and a parish in Northamptonshire. The village stands 4 miles NE from Higham Ferrors, 4 ½ S from Thrapston, and 1 ½ mile E of the M.R., on which it has a station. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Thrapston. The parish comprises 4460 acres; population, 3055. It has a parish council consisting of thirteen members, and sends three members to the Thrapston rural district council. The chief industry is the manufacture of boots and shoes, which is carried on to a considerable extent. There are some large deposits of ironstone in the parish. A temperance hall was erected in 1859. The manor belongs to the Duchy of Lancaster and the Langham family. There is a petrifying spring. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough ; net value, £200 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Peterborough. The church is a fine building of stone chiefly in the Early English style, but with Decorated and Perpendicular insertions, consisting of chancel,nave, aisles, S chantry, S porch, and a western tower and broach spire. It was restored under the direction of the late Sir G. Gilbert Scott, R.A., in 1874, and it contains a curious font and some very ancient and interesting tombs and memorials. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels. John Grimbald, who built Trinity College chapel in Cambridge, was a native.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Raunds St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Thrapston|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1581.
Church of England
St. Mary the Virgin (parish church)
The church of St. Mary the Virgin is a noble edifice of stone, in the Early English style, with Decorated and Perpendicular insertions, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, south chantry, south porch and a western tower, with broach spire, containing a clock and 8 bells, two of which were presented in 1897 by J. Kingsmith in commemoration of the Diamond Jubilee of Her Majesty Queen Victoria, 6 originally cast in 1732, the 5th and tenor were recast in 1878, the tenor again recast and augmented in 1898; the spire, 186 feet in height, having been struck by lightning, 31 July, 1826, and severely injured, was taken down and rebuilt at a cost of £1,731; it was again struck by lightning, 23 Jan. 1895, and restored at a cost of £111: the lower stage of the tower is groined and has a screen: the communion table of carved oak was the gift of Gilbert Negouse, buried here Aug. 3rd, 1630: the font is a curious circular example, on a moulded pedestal, and has a carved ram's head projecting from one side: there is a monument with brass and arms to William Gage esq. of Magilligem, county Derry, Ireland, ob. 1632, who bequeathed £10 annually for 40 years to the poor of this parish; at the east end, in the sanctuary, on a large stone, are effigies of a man and woman in brass with an invocatory inscription commemorating John Tawyer, ob. 25th Jan. 1370, and Margaret, his wife, and below are figures of four daughters and a shield of arms; on an adjoining stone is the effigy of a woman, with those of four sons and five daughters, and a shield of the same arms: there is also a panelled altar-tomb, inscribed to John Wales, vicar, ob. 1596: in the chancel is a coffin slab of the 13th century ornamented with a rich floriated cross, and supposed to be the tombstone of the founder of the church: in the church are pre-Reformation wall paintings, and also the dial of a 15th century clock, bearing the inscription, "Pray for the soules of John Elen & Sara his wife." The church was restored, at a cost of upwards of £4,000, from designs by the late Sir G. Gilbert Scott R.A., and reopened in June, 1874: in 1893 a new organ was presented by Mr. John Kingsmith, at a cost of £1,200: in 1900 the chancel was renovated by the lay rector, H. L. Storey esq. of Lancaster: in the churchyard is the base of an ancient cross.
Primitive Methodist chapel
The Primitive Methodist chapel was erected in 1899.
There is a Wesleyan chapel with Sunday and day schools, built in 1874, at a cost of nearly £3,000; the chapel will hold 800 people, and has a large burial ground attached.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Raunds from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Online maps of Raunds are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: