Corby, a village and a parish in Northamptonshire. The village stands on an affluent of the river Nen, 7 ¼ miles NNE. of Kettering, and has a station on the M.R., and a post and money order office under Kettering ; telegraph office, Weldon.. The parish comprises 2640 acres; population, 845. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; value, £270. Patron, the Countess of Cardigan. The church is ancient. There are Congregational and Wesleyan chapels.. Ironstone in large quantities is mined in this parish.
A cemetery of 2 acres and 2 poles was formed in 1899, at a cost of £895, and contains a mortuary chapel.
The register dates from the year 1684.
Church of England
St. John the Baptist (parish church)
The church of St. John the Baptist is an ancient building of stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, south porch and a western tower with spire containing a clock and 4 bells: the church was restored in 1902 at a cost of £4,400, the Rev. T. G. Clarke M.A. and Mrs. Clarke contributing £2,500; the restoration included the removal of the west gallery and the building of a new north aisle; a new carved oak roof was also erected, the windows repaired and two stained glass windows presented by Mrs. Barwell Ewins and Mrs. Hales, of Corby: an organ was provided in 1903 at a cost of £420, defrayed by the rector and Mrs. T. G. Clarke.
There is a Congregational chapel.
There is a Wesleyan chapel.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: