Burton Latimer, Northamptonshire
Burton-Latimer, a parish in Northamptonshire, 3 ½ milea SE of Kettering. It has a station, jointly with Isham, on the M.B., and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Kettering. Acreage, 2756; population, 1948. The manor belonged once to the Latimers. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough ; value, from 700 acres of glebe, uncertain, with residence. The church, a large and beautiful building in the Norman and Early English styles, was restored in 1867. There are a Baptist chapel and some useful charities. Burton Hall, a large mansion, is at the entrance of the village.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Burton-Latimer St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Kettering|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
A cemetery of half an acre was formed in 1882, at a cost of £500, and a cemetery of 3½ acres was formed in 1912 at a cost of £1,420.
There is another cemetery adjoining the churchyard, the gift of the late Rev. W. B. Jacques, which is vested in trustees, for the use of members of the Church of England.
The parish registers date from the year 1538.
Church of England
St Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary is a large and very handsome edifice, in the Norman and Early English styles, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of six bays, aisles, north porch and an embattled western tower with spire containing 6 bells and a clock: the tower is Early English, but the spire is of later date; both were rebuilt in 1864, and the church restored in 1807: there is a memorial window to the Rev. Edward Craig M.A. sometime curate here, d. 1850; the east window was presented in 1897 by the Rev. W. B. Jacques, then rector, and Mrs. Jacques; and in the tower a brass effigy of a woman in a mantle and veil, with inscription to Margaret Bacon, d. 29 Jan. 1626: in 1914 two memorial windows were placed in the chancel in memory of the Rev. W. B. Jacques M.A. rector 1895-1911: there are sittings for 430 persons.
The Baptist chapel, erected in 1744, was enlarged in 1832, and renovated in 1878.
There is a Wesleyan chapel, built in 1891.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Burton Latimer from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
The Cottage Homes here, belonging to the Kettering Union, were erected in 1896, at a cost of £1,250, and additional homes in 1901 at a further cost of £1,715; to hold 64 children in total.
Land and Property
Burton Latimer Hall is an Elizabethan mansion at the entrance of the village, containing an old oak staircase.
Online maps of Burton Latimer are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: