Syderstone, a parish, with a village in Norfolk, 4 miles SE of Stanhoe station on the Hunstanton and West Norfolk section of the G.E.R., and 6 NW from Fakenham. It has a post office under Swaffham; money order and telegraph office, East Rudham. Acreage, 2455; population, 463. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The manor belonged once to the Robsarts, and belongs now to the Marquis of Cholmondeley, who is also chief landowner. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich; gross value, £488. Patron, the Marquis of Cholmondeley. The church is a small building of flint in the Decorated style, and there are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Syderstone St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Docking|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Syderstone from the following:
Online maps of Syderstone are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitations of Norfolk 1563, 1589, and 1613 is available on the Heraldry page.