Stoke Holy Cross, Norfolk
Stoke Holy Cross, a village and a parish in Norfolk. The village stands three-quarters of a mile of Swainsthorpe station on the Ipswich and Norwich section of the G.E.R., and 5 miles S of Norwich. It has a post and money order office under Norwich; telegraph office, Trowse. The parish comprises 1664 acres; population, 394. There is a parish council consisting of five members. The manor belongs to the Fellowes family. Stoke Hall is a large mansion of brick standing in a well-timbered park. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich; net value, £176 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Norwich. The church is a building of flint in the Perpendicular style. There is a home for eight orphan girls, and there are some small charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Stoke Holy Cross|
|Poor Law union||Henstead|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stoke Holy Cross from the following:
Online maps of Stoke Holy Cross are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitations of Norfolk 1563, 1589, and 1613 is available on the Heraldry page.