Shimpling, a parish, with a village, in Norfolk, half a mile E of Burston station on the Ipswich and Norwich section of the G.E.R., and 3 ½ miles NE of Diss. Post town, Scole; money order and telegraph office, Dickleborough. Acreage, 797; population, 168. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich; net value, £169 with residence. The church is an edifice of flint in the Perpendicular style, consisting of an Early English chancel, nave, N porch, and a round western tower surmounted by an octagonal belfry and a small spire of wood.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Shimpling St. George|
|Poor Law union||Depwade|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Shimpling from the following:
Online maps of Shimpling are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitations of Norfolk 1563, 1589, and 1613 is available on the Heraldry page.