Rougham, a parish, with a village, in Norfolk, 2 miles E of the Peddar Way, and 7 ¼ N by E of Swaffham station on the Lynn and Dereham section of the G.E.R., 4 SE from Masingham station on the Midland and Great Northern Joint railway, and 10 SW from Fakenham. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Swaffham. Acreage, 2676; population, 304. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The manor, with Bougham Hall, a mansion standing in a well-wooded park, belongs to the North family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich; net value, £170 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church, which is a building of flint and stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel with N aisle, nave, S porch, and an embattled western tower, has over the W door an old carving of the crucifixion, and contains brasses and monuments of the Norths and the Yelvertons. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Rougham St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Mitford and Launditch|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Rougham from the following:
Online maps of Rougham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Norfolk newspapers online:
- Norwich Mercury
- Norfolk Chronicle
- Diss Express
- Thetford & Watton Times and People's Weekly Journal
- Norfolk News
The Visitations of Norfolk 1563, 1589, and 1613 is available on the Heraldry page.