Redenhall, a parish in Norfolk, on the river Waveney, and on the Waveney Valley branch of the G.E.R., at the boundary with Suffolk, 1 ½ mile ENE of Harleston station. It contains the town of Harleston, which has a head post office. Acreage, 3392; population, 2003. The manors of Redenhall, Hawkers, Holbrook, and Coldham belong to the Holmes family, and that of Harleston belongs to the Winters and Francis families of Norwich. Gawdy Hall was the seat of the Gawdy family; passed to the Wogans, and is now a seat of the Holmes family. It is an ancient mansion in the Elizabethan style, partly moated, and situated in a well-timbered park. The living is a rectory, united with the chapelry of Harleston, in the diocese of Norwich ; joint gross value, £815 with residence. Patron, the Duke of Norfolk, at the nomination of the Bishop of Norwich. The church was rebuilt by Thomas Brotherton, eldest son of Edward I. and Earl of Norfolk; was restored in 1858; has a fine tower, and contains monuments of the Gawdy family. See HARLESTON.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Reddenhall The Assumption of the Virgin Mary|
|Poor Law union||Depwade|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Redenhall from the following:
Online maps of Redenhall are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Norfolk newspapers online:
- Norwich Mercury
- Norfolk Chronicle
- Diss Express
- Thetford & Watton Times and People's Weekly Journal
- Norfolk News
The Visitations of Norfolk 1563, 1589, and 1613 is available on the Heraldry page.