Oxborough, a village and a parish in Norfolk. The village stands on an affluent of the river Wissey, 3 ½ miles NE by E of Stoke Ferry terminal station on the Downham Market and Stoke Ferry branch of the G.E.R., and 7 ½ SW of Swaffham; occupies the site of a Roman station, supposed by some to have been Iciani, is mentioned in Domesday book, was once a market-town, and has still a fair on Easter Tuesday. It has a post office under Stoke Ferry (S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Stoke Ferry. The parish comprises 2566 acres ; population of the civil parish, 222; of the ecclesiastical, with Foulden, 637. The manor belonged once to Torchil the Dane, and with Oxborough Hall and most of the land belongs now to the Bedingfeld family. Oxborough Hall is a castellated brick quadrangle of the 15th century, measures 118 feet by 92, has towers 80 feet high, and a fine old gateway, is surrounded by a moat, was visited by Henry VII., and contains some curious old tapestry, and a number of paintings by old masters. An ancient camp and tumuli are at Warren Hill, and ancient coins have been found there. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Foulden, in the diocese of Norwich; net value, £300 with residence. Patron, Caius College, Cambridge. The church is a large Gothic building of stone, comprises nave, aisles, and chancel, has a square tower, with a very lofty octagonal spire, and contains a terra cotta screen, and monuments of the Bedingfelds. The spire was rebuilt in 1877, the previous one having been struck and injured by lightning. There are a Roman Catholic chapel, a handsome endowed school, and charities £130. The Roman Catholic chapel was built in 1835, and is a neat edifice of rubble, consisting of nave only.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Oxborough St. John the Evangelist|
|Poor Law union||Swaffham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Oxborough from the following:
Online maps of Oxborough are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Norfolk newspapers online:
- Norwich Mercury
- Norfolk Chronicle
- Diss Express
- Thetford & Watton Times and People's Weekly Journal
- Norfolk News
The Visitations of Norfolk 1563, 1589, and 1613 is available on the Heraldry page.