Lyng, a village and a parish in Norfolk. The village stands on the river Wensum, 3 miles W from Lenwade station on the Midland and Great Northern Joint railway, 4 ½ S by W from Eeepham station on the G.E.R., and 7 NE from Dereham. It has a post office under Norwich; money order office, Great Witchingham; telegraph office, Lenwade railway station. Acreage of parish, 1973; population, 437. It has a parish council of seven members. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich; gross value, £450 with residence. The church is a small building of flint in the Early English style. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel. There was formerly in this parish a chapel dedicated to St Edmund, some ruins of which are still standing.
|Poor Law union||Mitford and Launditch|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
Transcript of the entry for Lyng (St. Clement) from Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848
Online maps of Lyng are available from a number of sites:
Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitations of Norfolk 1563, 1589, and 1613 is available on the Heraldry page.