Gressenhall, a village and a parish in Norfolk. The village stands near a branch of the river Wensum, and 3 miles NW from East Dereham station on the G.E.R., and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under East Dereham. The parish comprises 2647 acres; population of the civil parish, 835; of the ecclesiastical, 842. Gressen-hall House is the chief residence. A collegiate chapel was founded here in the time of Henry VIII. by William de Stute-ville, and a house of industry, now the workhouse for Mit-ford district, was built on the site of that chapel in 1777, at a cost of £16, 243. The building was altered at a cost of £2000 in 1860. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich; net yearly value,, £530 with residence. Patron, King's College, Cambridge. The church is cruciform and excellent, having been thoroughly restored in 1880, and contains monuments of the L'Estranges, the Vesseys, and others. The charities are worth about £26 a year.
The Visitations of Norfolk 1563, 1589, and 1613 is available on the Heraldry page.