Gayton, a large village and a parish in Norfolk. The village stands 2? miles NE of East Winch station on the-G.E.R., and 7 ¼ E by S of King's Lynn, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Lynn. Acreage, 3287 ; population, 760. A Benedictine priory was founded here, in the time of William the Conqueror, by William de Scohies. Gayton Hall is the property of Earl Romney. The. parish contains the Freebridge-Lynn workhouse. The living" is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich; net yearly value, £223-with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Norwich. The church is an ancient building of flint and brick in the Transition style. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.
|Poor Law union||Freebridge-Lynn|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
Transcript of the entry for Gayton (St. Nicholas) from Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848
Online maps of Gayton are available from a number of sites:
Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitations of Norfolk 1563, 1589, and 1613 is available on the Heraldry page.