Congham, a village and a parish in Norfolk, 1 mile E by N from Grimston Road station on the Midland and Great Northern Joint railway, with a post office under King's Lynn; money order and telegraph office, Grimston. Acreage, 2896 ; population, 316. Congham House is a chief residence, and seat of the Elwes family; Congham Hall of the Everard family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich;. gross yearly value, £446 with residence. The church is an ancient building of stone and flint in the Early English style, and consists of nave and chancel, north chapel, and a tower. Sir Henry Spelman the antiquary was a native.
|Poor Law union||Freebridge-Lynn|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
Transcript of the entry for Congham (St. Andrew) from Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848
Online maps of Congham are available from a number of sites:
Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitations of Norfolk 1563, 1589, and 1613 is available on the Heraldry page.