Pinner, a village and a parish on the borders of Herts, in Middlesex. The village stands on high ground, near an affluent of the river Colne, on the road from Harrow to Rickmansworth, 2 1/2 miles NW of Harrow. It was once a market-town, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office (S.O.), and stations on the L. & N.W.R. and Metropolitan railway. The parish contains also the hamlets of Waxwell, Woodhall, Woodridings, Pinner Wood, Pinner Green, Hatch End, Headstone, and Headstone Drive, and was formerly a part of Harrow parish. Acreage, 3782; population of the civil parish, 2727; of the ecclesiastical, with Wood-ridings, 2546. A pleasure fair is held on Whit-Wednesday. Pinner Place was the seat of Governor Holwell, who was shut up in the Black Hole of Calcutta, but survived. There are numerous good residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London; net value, £209 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Harrow. The church is an ancient building of flint and stone, some portions dating from the 13th and others from the 15th centuries. It consists of chancel with aisle, nave, transepts, aisles, S porch, and an embattled western tower. It has some ancient brasses and monuments, and some good stained windows. A chapel of ease in Wood-ridings was erected in 1865. The Commercial Travellers' School was opened in 1855 by the late Prince Consort; is a splendid pile situated about 1 1/4 mile E of the village; was greatly enlarged in 1868 and again in 1876-77, further improvements being effected in 1878; and educates, clothes, and maintains about 240 boys and 140 girls. There are also Baptist and Wesleyan chapels.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Middlesex is online.