South Elkington, Lincolnshire
Elkington, South, a parish in Lincolnshire, 3 miles WNW of Louth station on the G.N.R. It contains the hamlets of Ackthorpe and Cotes Grange, and has a post office, of the name of Elkington, under Louth; money order and telegraph office, Louth. Acreage, 3085; population of the civil parish, 366; of the ecclesiastical, with North Elkington, 448. Elkington Hall and Thorpe Hall are chief residences. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of North Elkington, in the diocese of Lincoln; joint net value, £288 ivith residence. The church is a building of stone and chalk m the Perpendicular style.
|Poor Law union||Louth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have made the Lincolnshire Parish Registers, 1538-1911 available to browse online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
Transcript of the entry for Elkington, South (All Saints) from Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848
Online maps of South Elkington are available from a number of sites:
Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online: