Messingham, a village, a township, and a parish in Lincolnshire. The village stands 3 1/2 miles E of the river Trent, U NW by N of Kirton-in-Lindsey station on the M.S. & L.K. main line, and 7 1/2 W by S of Glanford Brigg, is large and well built, and has a fair on Trinity Monday, and a post and money order office under Brigg; telegraph office, Kirton Lindsey. The township comprises 5817 acres; population, 1060. The parish contains also the larger portion of EAST BUTTERWICK township, which is noticed separately. Acreage, with the rest of East Butterwick, 6851; population, 1334. The manor belongs to the Smith family. About 1000 acres were formerly a low, sandy, barren tract upon the Trent, but have been highly improved by warping. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of East Butterwick, in the diocese of Lincoln; net value, £285 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Lincoln. The church is a neat building of stone, originally Early English, with a tower, and was partly rebuilt in 1818 at a cost of nearly £2000. The chancel was restored in 1890. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels, a reading-room and library, and a Temperance Hall, which was erected in 1891.
Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have made the Lincolnshire Parish Registers, 1538-1911 available to browse online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online: