Little Carlton, Lincolnshire
Carlton, Little, a parish in Lincolnshire, 3 miles E of Legbourne station on the G.N.R., and 4 ½ ESE of Louth, which is the post town; money order and telegraph office, Louth. Acreage, 948; population of the civil parish, 135; of the ecclesiastical, with Castle Carlton, 165. The living is a rectory, with that of Castle Carlton annexed, in the diocese of Lincoln ; tithe commuted at £199 with residence, and about 100 acres of glebe situated in various parishes. The church is a small building in the Early English style. There is a Free Methodist chapel.
|Poor Law union||Louth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have made the Lincolnshire Parish Registers, 1538-1911 available to browse online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
Transcript of the entry for Carlton, Little (St. Edith) from Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848
Online maps of Little Carlton are available from a number of sites:
Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online: