Hemingby, Lincolnshire

Historical Description

Hemingby, a village and a parish in Lincolnshire, on the river Bain, 4 miles NNW from Horncastle station on theG.N.R. Post town, Homcastle; money order and telegraph office, Banmber. Acreage, 2306; population, 401. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln; net yearly value, £385. Patron, King's College, Cambridge. The church is plain but good, and consists of nave and chancel, with a tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel, an endowed free school, four endowed almshouses, and a small charity which is distributed in fuel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

Ancient County Lincolnshire
Poor Law union Horncastle
Wapentake Gartree

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

Transcript of the entry for Hemingby (St. Margaret) from Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848


Maps

Online maps of Hemingby are available from a number of sites:

Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
Google Streetview.
National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online: