Hainton, a parish in Lincolnshire, on the Wolds, 5 miles NE from Wragby, and 1 ½ mile NW from South Willingham station on the G.N.R. It has a post, money order, and tele-.graph office under Lincoln. Acreage, 2324; population, 297. The manor, with Hainton Hall-a large mansion standing In a park of 145 acres-and all the land, belongs to the Heneages, and has belonged to them since the time of Henry III. Roman coins have been found. The living is a vicarage, united with Sixhills, in the diocese of Lincoln; joint gross value, £226 with residence. The church includes some Saxon portions, is in good condition, consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with tower and lofty spire, and contains monuments of the Heneages. There is a Roman Catholic chapel, which was erected in 1836.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hainton St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Louth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have made the Lincolnshire Parish Registers, 1538-1911 available to browse online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hainton from the following:
Online maps of Hainton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online: