Algarkirk, a parish in Lincolnshire, near Fosdyke Wash, 6 ½ miles S by W of Boston. It has a station, with Sutter-ton, on the G.N.R. Post town, Boston; money order and telegraph office, Sutterton. Acreage, 2740; population of the civil parish, 469; of the ecclesiastical, with Fosdyke, 902. Algarkirk Hall is a spacious modern dwelling, pleasantly situated in a well-wooded park. The living is a rectory, united with Fosdyke, in the diocese of Lincoln ; gross yearly value, ?£1728. The church is cruciform, with a low central tower; shows successive characters from traces of Norman to Later English; has a beautiful reredos; and contains sedilia and an octagonal font. A stone in the churchyard is said to mark the grave of Algar, Earl of Mercia, who fell in battle against the Danes at Threkingham in 870. Hence the name Algarkirk.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Algarkirk St. Peter and St. Paul|
|Poor Law union||Boston|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have made the Lincolnshire Parish Registers, 1538-1911 available to browse online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Algarkirk from the following:
Online maps of Algarkirk are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online: