Lubenham, a village, a township, and a parish in Leicestershire, divided from Northamptonshire by the river Wel-land, with a station on the Rugby and Stamford branch of the L. & N.W.R., 2 miles W of Market Harborough, and ta post, money order, and telegraph office under Market Har-feorough. The parish is traversed by the Union and Grand Union Canals, which unite near Foxton Locks, and comprises 2729 acres; population, 680. It has a parish council of six members. Papillon Hall is an ancient octagonal building standing on an eminence about a mile from the village. There are traces of a Roman camp of 8 acres. The weaving of carriage and livery lace is carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough; gross value, £170. The church is Early English; comprises nave, aisles, chancel, and S porch,with a tower and five bells; includes a chantry; and contains a hagioscope and an Easter shrine. There is also a Congregational chapel, which is used by Baptists as well as Con-gregationalists.
The register dates from the year 1559, and is in very good condition.
The church of All Saints is a large and ancient building of stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel with north aisle, nave, aisles, south porch and a western tower containing 5 bells, four of which were recast in 1724; the fifth is dated 1624: the north chancel aisle, used from 1815 as National school, was, in 1859, thrown open to the church, when a fine Norman arch was uncovered, and in 1872, an organ was placed in it: the chancel retains sedilia and a piscina; and in the north wall is an Easter shrine, or possibly founder's tomb, consisting of a Decorated arch, under which there was formerly a large stone: there are memorials to the Rev. John Bullivant M.A. formerly vicar of this parish and rector of Marston Trussell, d. 5 Oct. 1803; the Rev. Henry Bullivant LL.B. 33 years vicar of this parish and rector of Marston Trussell, and the founder in 1815 of the National school, d. 6 July, 1842: in 1812 the church was repewed and in 1898 improved: in 1900 the east wall was restored and a memorial window placed to Mr. and Mrs. Joshua S. Perkins: there are about 268 sittings.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
By an order of the Ministry of Health, dated April 1st, 1924, part of the parish of Lubenham, in the rural district of Market Harborough, was transferred to the parish of Great Bowden and the urban district of Market Harborough.