Coalville, an ecclesiastical parish in Leicestershire, 4 1/2 miles ESE from Ashby-de-la-Zouch, on the Burton and Leicester branch of the M.B., on which it has a station, It has also a station called Coalville East on the L. & N.W.R. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Leicester. Population, 2692. The industries of the place, which is one of growing importance, include railway waggon works, a silk web factory, iron-founding, and brick and tile making. There is a large public hall built in 1876. Cattle sales are held monthly, and the Leicestershire Banking Company, Limited, have a sub-branch here. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough; gross value, £202 with residence. The church, a building of stone in the Early English style, was erected in 1838. There are Baptist, Calvinistic, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan chapels.
The parish register dates from the year 1840.
Details of the places of worship in Coalville, and their records, can be found on the following pages:
- Coalville Calvinistic Methodist Chapel (Calvinistic Methodist)
- Coalville Methodist Chapel (Primitive Methodist)
- Coalville Wesleyan Chapel (Wesleyan Methodist)
- Transfiguration (St. Saviour) (Roman Catholic)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.