Blackfordby, a parish, formed in 1876 from portions of the parishes of Ashby-de-la-Zouch, Seal, and Hartshorne, and which includes the villages of Blackfordby and Boundary, and the township of Boothorpe, Leicestershire. It is 2 1/2 miles NW from Ashhy-de-la-Zouch station on the M.R. Post town, Burton-on-Trent; money order and telegraph office, Woodville. Area, 1302 acres; population of the civil parish, 1040; of the ecclesiastical, 1359. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough; gross yearly value, £193, in the gift of Lord Donington. The church, erected in 1858 on the site of the old building, is a structure of grey sandstone in the Early English style. There are Wesleyan and Congregational chapels. Boundary is a straggling village about 3/4 of a mile to the NE. Boothorpe is a township 3/4 of a mile SW of the village of Blackfordby.
The earliest parish register, commencing from February 20th, 1653 (old style), was restored to the church by the Right Hon. Sir M. I. Joyce, after being rebound at his expense. The later registers of baptisms date from 1854; marriages, 1876; burials, 1813.
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
The church of St. Margaret, rebuilt in 1858, on a commanding site occupied by a church since the 11th century, is an edifice of grey sandstone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave and a tower at the south-west angle with a broach spire 100 feet in height and containing one large bell, which bears the inscription: Blackfordby church bells of 1663 and 1724 helped in making this bell, 1888, and a clock added in 1920 to the memory of the men of Blackfordby who fell in the Great War, 1914-18: the stained west window was erected at the expense of the Right Hon. Sir Matthew Ingle Joyce, of Abbot's Oak, Whitwick, and another was presented by Robert Lawton esq. in 1919 in memory of his son, Lieut R. C. Lawton: a memorial tablet bearing the names of the 28 men of the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18, was placed in the church in 1920: the church affords 300 sittings.