Withnell, Lancashire

Historical Description

Withnell, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in Leyland parish, Lancashire, The township lies 6 miles SW of Blackburn and 8 from Preston, includes Brinscall and Abbey Mill villages, and the hamlets of Roddlesworth and Ollerton, and has a station on the L. & N.W.R., and a post office under Chorley; money order and telegraph office, Brinscall. Acreage, 3628; population, 2779. The manor with Ollerton Hall belongs to the Park family. A reservoir of the Liverpool waterworks is in this township. There are cotton mills, calico-printing works, bleaching mills, paper mills, and quarries. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1842. Population, 2831. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester; net value, £166 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Leyland. The church consists of nave and western tower. There are Wesleyan, Free Methodist, and Roman Catholic chapels, and there is a chapel of ease at Brinscall.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Lancashire
Civil parish Leyland
Hundred Leyland
Poor Law union Chorley

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Withnell from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Withnell are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lancashire newspapers online: