Walmersley, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Bury and Middleton parishes, Lancashire. The village stands 1 mile from Summerseat railway station, and "2 miles N of Bury; carries on manufactures similar to those of Bury, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Bury. The township includes the extensive village of Shuttleworth, 2 ½ miles to the N, and Summerseat with Brooks Bottoms, and bears the name of Walmersley-cum-Shuttleworth. Area, 5053 acres; population, 5789. There is a parish council consisting of six members. The Earl of Derby is lord of the manor. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1838. Population, 2539. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester; net value, £270 with residence. The church, erected in 1883, in place of the old one, is in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, transepts, and bell-turret. There are Free Methodist and Wesleyan chapels, cotton mills, dyeworks, bleachworks, and a brewery A branch of the Northern Counties Hospital for Incurables is here. There is a Congregational chapel in Shuttleworth.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lancashire newspapers online: