Speke, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in Childwall civil parish, Lancashire, on the river Mersey, with a station on the main line of the L. & N.W.R., between Liverpool and Runcorn Bridge, 8 miles SE of Liverpool. The whole township or ecclesiastical district is comprised by the Speke estate, the old family place of the Norreys. Acreage, 3734, of which 1229 are water; population, 469. Just outside the township, on the Woolton side, is a station, Hunts Cross, on the M.R. between Liverpool and Wamngton and Liverpool and Southport. The township has a parish council, which consists of five members. Speke skirts the river Mersey and reaches from Garston to Hale. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1875. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Liverpool; net value, £156. The church was built in 1873 and consecrated in 1876, is in the Decorated style, and consists of chancel, nave, aisle, and western tower with spire.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lancashire newspapers online: