Pilling, a village, a township, and a chapelry in Garstang parish, Lancashire. The village stands on Morecambe Bay, 6 1/2 miles NW by W of Garstang, and has a station on the Garstang and Knot End railway, and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Garstang (R.S.O.) The township comprises 6058 acres of land and 4441 of water and foreshore ; population, 1480; of the ecclesiastical district, 1493. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. Much of the land is peat-moss, and large quantities of turf are cut. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester; gross value, £110 with residence. There are two churches, a mission church, and Wesleyan and Roman Catholic chapels. One of the churches was in existence in 1493, having been rebuilt in 1717, and consists of chancel and nave. In 1895 it was converted into a mortuary chapel, not being in fit repair for use as a church. The other church is a large structure erected in 1886-87 in the Gothic style, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, S porch, and an embattled tower with spire.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lancashire newspapers online: