Pilkington, a township in Prestwich parish, Lancashire. It lies adjacent to the river Irwell, 5 ½ miles NNW of Manchester, 194 from London, and a quarter of a mile from Radcliffe Bridge station on the L. & Y.R., is cut into the three sections of Outwood, Unsworth, and Whitefield or Stand; contains the hamlets of Ringley, Cinderhill, Blackford, and Hollins, and the village of Prestolee; is governed by a district council, and supplied with water from the Bury waterworks. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office at Whitefield, under Manchester. There are coal mines, several large cotton factories, bleach-works, and dye-works. Acreage, 5439 ; population, 14,458. The manor belongs to the Earl of Derby. There are churches at Stand, Ringley, Prestolee, and Unsworth, and several dissenting chapels at Stand and Unsworth.
Directories & Gazetteers
Transcript of the entry for Pilkington from Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lancashire newspapers online: