Knowsley, a township and a parish in Lancashire, 2 1/2 miles N by W of Hnyton railway station, and 3 NW by W of Prescot. There is a post and money order office under Prescot; telegraph office, Prescot. Acreage, 5058; population, 1150. The property all belongs to the Earl of Derby.
Knowsley Hall is the Earl's seat, has been enlarged from time to time, includes portions of the period of Henry VII., was fully restored by the tenth earl before 1735, presents imposing fronts surmounted by towers, contains many family portraits and a large and valuable collection of paintings by old and modern masters, and was visited in November, 1865, by the Prince and Princess of Wales. The grounds around it comprise upwards of 2000 acres, are enclosed by a stone wall upwards of 8 feet high, pierced by thirteen entrances, and contain tasteful gardens, many ancient oaks, and ornamental waters nearly a mile long. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Liverpool; gross value, £300. Patron, the Earl of Derby. The church is modern, cruciform, and handsome, and has a W broach spire.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lancashire newspapers online: