Halton, a village and a parish in Lancashire. The village stands on the river Lnne, and on the Skipton and Lancashire section of the M.R., 2 1/2 miles NNE of Lancaster, and has a station on the railway, and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Lancaster. The parish includes also the chapelry of Aughton. Acreage, 3914 of land and 110 of water; population, 906. Halton Hall is a chief residence. Coins of Canute, now in the British Museum, were found in 1815 on Halton Moor, vestiges of a Roman camp and an ancient harrow are near the church, and remains of a Roman altar were found at the camp. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester; gross value, £383 with residence. The church is modern, with an ancient tower, and has a memorial font. The perpetual curacy of Aughton is a separate benefice. An endowed school has £67 yearly.