Great Harwood, Lancashire
Harwood, Great, a town, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Blackburn parish and union, Lancashire. The town stands near the Leeds and Liverpool Canal, 1 1/4 mile SW of the river Calder, and 4 1/2 miles NE of Blackburn, is a rising place, well built of native stone, and its population is increasing rapidly; is governed by a local board of health, and has a station on the L. & Y.R.; and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Blackburn. There are cotton mills, a newsroom, which is a part of the organization of a large co-operative society, a church, and Congregational, Wesleyan, Primitive and Free Methodist, and Roman Catholic chapels. The church is ancient, was enlarged in 1881, and has a western tower. The Roman Catholic chapel is a handsome edifice of 1860 with stained glass windows. There are collieries in the neighbourhood. The township comprises 2863 acres; population, 9073-an increase of 50 per cent in ten years. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester; net value, £410 with residence.