Bardsley, a village and an ecclesiastical district in Ashton-under-Lyne parish, Lancashire, 2 miles N by W of Ashton. It has a post office under Ashton-under-Lyne. The inhabitants are employed chiefly in cotton factories, iron-works, and coal-mines. Population of the ecclesiastical district, 3304. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester; net value, £203 with residence. The church was built in 1844, and enlarged with a new chancel and organ chamber in 1885. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel.
Directories & Gazetteers
Transcript of the entry for Bardsley from Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lancashire newspapers online: