Wye, a village and a parish in Kent. The village stands on the river Stour, under Wye Downs, with a station on the S.E.R., 60 miles from London, and 4 NNE of Ashford. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office, was once a market-town, and consists of two parallel streets crossed by two others. The South-eastern Agricultural College is a 15th-century building, which has been adapted to modern requirements. A fair is held annually on 11 Oct. Acreage of the civil parish, 7349; population, 1419; of the ecclesiastical, 1254. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. The manor belonged to the Saxon kings, was given by William the Conqueror to Battle Abbey, went after the dissolution of monasteries to the Hunsdons, and passed in 1628 to the Finches. Olantigh Towers is the chief residence, and is believed to contain the finest collection of pictures in the county. Wye Downs command a fine view. A mineral spring is at Withersdane. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury; net value, £275 with residence. The church is large and handsome, and has a nave of the time of Henry VI., and a chancel and tower of 1706. There are a Wesleyan chapel, an endowed school, and almshouses.
The Visitation of Kent, 1619 is available on the Heraldry page, as is also The Visitation of Kent, 1663-68.