Southborough, an ecclesiastical parish in Kent. It stands 2 miles N of Tunbridge Wells, and has a station on the S.E.R,, 33 miles from London, and a post, money order, and telegraph office. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1831. Population, 5474. There is an urban district council consisting of nine members. The parish church of St Peter is an edifice of brick with a spire. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury; gross value, £470 with residence. Christ Church is a chapel of ease to St Peter's, and St Matthew's a mission church also in the parish of St Peter. St Thomas' Church is a smaller building in the Early English style, and was erected at the sole cost of the late Mrs Pugh. The living is a vicarage; net value, £245 with residence. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels. A parochial hall was erected in 1881.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Tonbridge|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Southborough from the following:
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Kent newspapers online:
- Kent & Sussex Courier
- Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald
- Dover Express
- Kentish Gazette
- Folkestone, Hythe, Sandgate & Cheriton Herald
- Kentish Chronicle
- Maidstone Telegraph
The Visitation of Kent, 1619 is available on the Heraldry page, as is also The Visitation of Kent, 1663-68.