Hougham, Kent

Description
Hougham, a village and a parish in Lincolnshire. The village stands on the river Witham, 6 miles NNW from Grantham, and has a station 1 mile E from the village on the G.N. main line. Post town and money order office, Grantham; telegraph office, Hougham station. Acreage of parish, 2477; population, 287. The manor belonged formerly to the Brudenell family; now to the Thorold family. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Marston, in the diocese of Lincoln; joint gross yearly value, £378 with residence. The church is an ancient building of stone in the Norman, Early English, and Later styles; has Norman pillars on the S aisle, consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower, and contains a handsome screen and a figured monumental stone of a Knight Templar. The population of the united ecclesiastical parishes^of Hougham and Marston is 589.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5