Horton Kirby, Kent
Horton Kirby, a village and a parish in Kent. The village stands on the river Darent, 1 mile SSE of Famingham station on the L.C. & D.R., and 4 ½ miles SSE of Dartford. It has a post office under Dartford; money order and telegraph office, South Darenth. Acreage of parish, 2840; population, 1551. The manor was held at Domesday by Anschitill de Eos, under Bishop Odo; remained with the family of De Eos till the time of Lora, called the " Lady of Horton," and went by marriage with her to the family of Kirkby, who previously owned adjacent lands. . Horton Castle was founded soon after the Conquest by the De Eos, was rebuilt in the time of Edward I. by Eoger de Kirkby, seems to have been either rebuilt again or largely restored and altered at a subsequent period, and is now represented by very considerable remains. Franks is a fine Tudor edifice, was built in the time of Elizabeth by Alderman Bathurst, and has been restored at great expense. Extensive paper mills are at South Darenth. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury; gross value, £230 with residence. The church is mainly Early English, but has a modern tower; is cruciform, with the tower rising from the intersection; has arcades round the interior of the transepts, and contains some remains of Roman pavement An Anglo-Saxon burying-ground was discovered at South Darenth in 1872. A refuge home for boys was built-in 1867 at a cost of £23, 000.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Kent newspapers online:
- Kent & Sussex Courier
- Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald
- Dover Express
- Kentish Gazette
- Folkestone, Hythe, Sandgate & Cheriton Herald
- Kentish Chronicle
- Maidstone Telegraph
The Visitation of Kent, 1619 is available on the Heraldry page, as is also The Visitation of Kent, 1663-68.