Eastry, a village, a parish, and a hundred in Kent. The village stands 2 ½ miles SW by S of Sandwich station on the S.E.R., was once a market town belonging to Canterbury priory, was previously a seat of the Saxon kings, who had a palace at it, and has now a post, money order, and telegraph office under Dover, a fair on 2 Oct., a church, a Wesleyan chapel, a workhouse, a cottage hospital, and some large charities. The church is chiefly Early English, but has Norman portions, -and contains monuments of the Botelers, the Paramors, the Harveys, and the Bargraves; it was restored in 1860. The parish contains also Heronden, Selson, Gower, Statenborough, -znd Felderland. Acreage, 2733 ; population, 1343. Court Lodge belonged to the Bargraves, and was the hiding-place of Becket for some days before his flight to France. Some ancient remains are at Statenborougli; and a remarkable excavation, winding to a great depth through a chalk strata, is in the vicinity of Eastry village. The living is a vicarage in .the diocese of Canterbury; value, £198 with residence. Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury.
|Poor Law union||Eastry|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
Transcript of the entry for Eastry (St. Mary) from Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848
Online maps of Eastry are available from a number of sites:
Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Kent newspapers online:
- Kent & Sussex Courier
- Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald
- Dover Express
- Kentish Gazette
- Folkestone, Hythe, Sandgate & Cheriton Herald
- Kentish Chronicle
- Maidstone Telegraph
The Visitation of Kent, 1619 is available on the Heraldry page, as is also The Visitation of Kent, 1663-68.