East Wickham, Kent
Wickham, East, a parish in Kent, 10 miles from London, with a station called Walling on the Blackheath and Bexley Heath branch of the S.E.R., and 3 SE of Woolwich. It contains part of Welling hamlet, which has a post, money order, and telegraph office. Acreage, 895; population, 1303. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. Wickham House is a seat in the parish, and there are other good residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester; net value, £125. The church is a small building of flint and brick in the Early English style. There is an endowed school, founded by William Foster in 1727, with an annual income of about £240.
|Poor Law union||Dartford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
Transcript of the entry for Wickham, East (St. Michael) from Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848
Online maps of East Wickham are available from a number of sites:
Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Kent newspapers online:
- Kent & Sussex Courier
- Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald
- Dover Express
- Kentish Gazette
- Folkestone, Hythe, Sandgate & Cheriton Herald
- Kentish Chronicle
- Maidstone Telegraph
The Visitation of Kent, 1619 is available on the Heraldry page, as is also The Visitation of Kent, 1663-68.