Borden, Kent

Historical Description

Borden, a parish in Kent, 1 1/2 mile W of Sittingbourne station on the L.C. & D.R. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Sittingbourne. Acreage, 2145 ; population, 1351. Many Roman coins, and foundations of two Roman buildings, were discovered at Sutton-Barn here in 1846. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury; net value, £210 with residence. The church has a Norman west door and a Norman tower, and includes some Roman bricks in its walls. It was well restored in 1865. An endowed middle-class school has been established. The charities are large. There are Wesleyan and Methodist chapels. Dr Plot, the author of the county histories of Oxford and Stafford, was born at Sutton-Barn, and a mural monument to him is in the church.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Church Records

The register dates from the year 1555.


Churches

Church of England

SS. Peter and Paul (parish church)

The church of SS. Peter and Paul is of flint, stone and brick, in the Norman, Early English and later styles, and has a fine Norman tower containing a clock, erected in 1898 to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of Her late Majesty Queen Victoria, and 8 bells, rehung in 1885: a new vestry was erected in 1913 at a cost of about £300: there are several stained windows, stone screens and a monument to Robert Plot LL.D. the historian of Oxfordshire and Staffordshire, ob. 30 April, 1696, and a painting of St. Christopher on the north wall: the church affords 350 sittings, 270 being free.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Maps

Old maps of Borden are available on the old-maps.co.uk site, and a current map is available on the Streetmap.co.uk site.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Kent newspapers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Kent, 1619 is available on the Heraldry page, as is also The Visitation of Kent, 1663-68.