Albury, Hertfordshire

Historical Description

Albury, a parish in Herts, on the river Ash, S ½ miles E of Braughing and Standon stations on the G.E.R., and 5 ½ NW of Bishop-Stortford. It has a post office under Much Hadham (S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Puckeridge. Area, 3238 acres of land and 10 of water; population, 563. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; yearly value from tithe rent charge, £250 with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of St Albans. The church contains a brass of Sir R. Verney, and a tomb of Sir Walter De la Lee of Albury Hall. The parish contains the hamlets of Albury End, Church End, Clapgate, Patmore Heath, Upwich, and Graves-end. Albury Hall, a country seat here, has a fine park of about 200 acres.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

Ancient County Hertfordshire
Hundred Edwinstree
Poor Law union Bishop-Stortford

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Findmypast, in association with the Hertfordshire Archives & Local Studies have the Baptisms, Banns, Marriages, and Burials online for Albury


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

Transcript of the entry for Albury (St. Mary) from Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848


Land and Property

A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.


Maps

Online maps of Albury are available from a number of sites:

Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
Google Streetview.
National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.