Bodenham, a village and a parish in Herefordshire. The village stands near the river Lugg, 1 mile E of Dinmore station on the Shrewsbury and Hereford Joint (L. & N.W. & G.W.) railway, and 6 ½ SSE of Leominster, under which it has a post, money order, and telegraph office ; and was once a market-town. There are remains of a large cross with a well in the village. The parish includes also the townships of Bowley, Bryan-Maund, Whitchurch-Maund, and the Moor. Acreage, 5295; population of the civil parish, 883 ; of the ecclesiastical, 878. Broadfield Court, Bodenham Manor, and Vennwood are the chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford; net value, £440 with residence. The church is a fine cruciform Early English and Decorated edifice, with a square tower. It was beautifully restored in 1891. There is a school chapel at Maund Common, and a Wesleyan chapel at the Moor.
|Poor Law union||Leominster|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
Transcript of the entry for Bodenham (St. Michael) from Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848
Online maps of Bodenham are available from a number of sites:
Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Herefordshire newspapers online: