Overton, a village and a parish in Hants. The village stands near the source of the river Test or Anton, with a station on the L. & S.W.R., 56 miles from London, and 3 ½ ENE of Whitchurch. It was once a market-town and a borough, sent members to Parliament in the times of Edward I. and Edward II., attracts anglers for the sake of very superior trout in the Test, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Whitchurch, and a great lamb and sheep fair on 18 July. The parish contains the tithings of Polhampton, Quidhampton, and Southington. Acreage, 6763; population, 1496. The manor is held by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The living is a rectory and a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; gross value, £995 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church is ancient, has been restored, presents some interesting features, and has a low square tower with shingled spire. There are Congregational and Wesleyan chapels. Southington House is the chief residence.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Overton St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Whitchurch|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Overton from the following:
Online maps of Overton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.