Westerleigh, a village and a parish in Gloucestershire. The Village is 1 1/2 mile S of Yate station on the M.R., and 3 miles SW of Chipping Sodbury. It has a post office under Chipping Sodbury; money order and telegraph office, Chipping Sodbury. The civil parish includes Nibley hamlet and Coalpit Heath ecclesiastical parish. Acreage, 4466; population of the civil parish, 1233; of the ecclesiastical, 392, There is a parish council consisting of nine members. A fair is held on 19 Sept. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; gross value, £160. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Wells. The church was built in the latter part of the 12th century. The S aisle is an addition of early 15th century date, and it opens into the nave with an arcade of seven bays. The western tower is an extremely fine specimen of 15th century work, and is adorned with elaborately traced parapets and angle turrets, which have been restored. There is a Congregational chapel.
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.