Stinchcombe, a village and a parish in Gloucestershire, 2 miles WNW of Dursley. There is a post office under Dursley; money order and telegraph office, Dursley. Acreage, 1676; population of the civil parish, 319; of the ecclesiastical, 315. The manor belongs to the baronet family of Prevost. The Manor House, Stancombe Park, and Peers Court are the chief residences. The site of a Roman villa has been discovered near Stancombe Park. Stinchcombe Hill commands an extensive view. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; gross value, £228 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church, with the exception of the tower and spire, was rebuilt in 1855.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Stinchcombe 1583-1812, Gloucestershire is available to browse online.
The register dates from the year 1582.
Details of the places of worship in Stinchcombe, and their records, can be found on the following pages:
- St. Cyr (Church of England)
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.