Boxwell with Leighterton, Gloucestershire
Boxwell-with-Leighterton, a parish in Gloucestershire, on the Cotswolds, 4 1/2 miles ESE of Wotton-under-Edge, and 6 1/2 E of Charfield station on the M.R. Post town, Wotton-under-Edge ; money order and telegraph office, Didmarton. Acreage, 2313 ; population, 266. Boxwell Court formerly belonged to the Abbots of Gloucester, and has been for generations the property of the Huntley family. It was built in the 15th century, and restored in 1796. There is a wood of box-trees about 40 acres in extent. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; net value, £234 with residence. The church is Early English, with an extinguisher bell-turret, and has a curious Early English font. About 1 1/2 mile SE of Boxwell is the hamlet of Leighterton, whose church is ancient, and was restored in 1877; it contains an ancient font. There is also a Congregational chapel.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Boxwell and Leighterton 1572-1812, Gloucestershire is available to browse online.
The parish register, including Leighterton, dates from the year 1548 for baptisms and burials; marriages, 1590.
Details of the places of worship in Boxwell with Leighterton, and their records, can be found on the following pages:
- Baptist Chapel (Baptist)
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.