Woodford Bridge, Essex

Historical Description

Woodford Bridge, an ecclesiastical parish, with a village, in Woodford St Mary parish, Essex, on the river Roding, 1 mile E of Woodford station on the G.E.R., and 6 miles WNW of Romford. There is a post, money order, and telegraph office. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1854. Population, 1955. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £250 with residence. Patron, the Rector of Woodford St Mary. The church, rebuilt in 1886, is a building of stone in the Gothic style. The Claybury Lunatic Asylum is near Woodford Bridge. It comprises an enormous pile of buildings which covers an area of over 20 acres, and provides accommodation for about 2000 patients and about 250 persons on the medical and general staff. The farm and estate surrounding the asylum have an area of 237 acres.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5


Old maps of Woodford Bridge are available on the old-maps.co.uk site, and a current map is available on the Streetmap.co.uk site.

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: