Wimbish, a parish, with Thunderley hamlet, in Essex, 4 ½ miles SE of Saffron Walden station, and 5 E of Newport station on the G.E.R. It has a post and money order office under Saffron Walden; telegraph office, Radwinter. Acreage, 4920; population, 729. The manor belongs to the Gibson family. The living is a double vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £200 with residence. The church is an ancient building, consisting of chancel, N chapel, nave, N aisle, and S porch. It has some very ancient stained glass and a brass to Sir John de Wantone and his wife, of 1347 date. The building was restored in 1889. Thunderley Hall is now a farmhouse. Wimbish Green is a hamlet 1 ¼ mile S.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wimbish All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Saffron-Walden|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wimbish from the following:
Online maps of Wimbish are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: