Widford, Essex

Historical Description

Widford, a parish in Essex, 1 ½ mile SW of Chelmsford station on the G.E.R. It. has a post office under Chelmsford; money order office, Moulsham; telegraph office, Chelmsford. Acreage, 680; population, 293. The manor, with Hylands Park, a spacious mansion standing in a park of nearly 600 acres, belongs to the Pryor family, who own the manor and most of the land. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £204. The church, erected in 1862, is a building of stone in the Gothic style.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Widford St. Mary
Hundred Chelmsford
Poor Law union Chelmsford

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Widford from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Widford are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: