Wickford, Essex

Historical Description

Wickford (anciently known as Wicfort and Wykeford), a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands on the river Crouch and on the G.E.R., having a junction for Southminster and Maldon. It is an ancient place dating from Saxon times, and derives its name from its situation at a ford of the Crouch. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office (S.O.) The parish comprises 1812 acres; population of the civil parish, 501; of the ecclesiastical, 487. There is a parish council of seven members and a chairman. The manor with most of the land belongs to the Fane family. Wickford Hall is a farmhouse. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £291 with residence. The church, rebuilt in 1876, is a building of stone in the Early English style. There is a Congregational chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Hundred Barstable
Poor Law union Billericay

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Wickford from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Wickford are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: